Thursday, August 20, 2009

When is Enough Actually Too Much?....

I have been in a funk. I feel like time is moving too quickly. The days are passing faster and faster, and I cannot keep up with my list of things to be done. I have been cruel to Jay; I have been impatient with my children. I have avoided a certain client for days. I have gone without sufficient sleep; I have skipped meals just to squeeze in one more meeting. I have run short on time; I (honestly) took an electric razor with me to work to shave my legs while preparing federal tax deposits. I finally understand the saying "Enough is enough" in a personal way.

As I sat in my office pondering going on strike and leaving the office, I heard a client come through the door. I walked to the front to be greeted by one of my favorite clients. We talked and looked out at the sky. Then, we saw her...the woman who lives across the street from my office. She has ALS. She was once active; she is confined to a wheelchair now. She and her husband went to visit my grandparents in the nursing home every week until she was no longer able to go. Her family is loving and kind, yet they must all watch her suffer. I cried. I am crying now.

How selfish am I? I was actually thinking about closing the office for the day just because I don't feel well. It's time for me to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Yes, I have been ridiculously busy, but I have also been ridiculously selfish. I should be grateful that I can still work a gazillion hours a week, pick up the children from school, do the laundry, cook supper, go to the gym, go to the grocery store, open a car door, nurture my marriage, help with homework, and lather, rinse, repeat. This is life. This is MY life. It is time to stop complaining and start kicking some butt. There are 24 hours in a day. Anything is possible given enough time, money, and effort.


Shout Out to the Hubs...That ain't nuthin', turn it around!
Shout Out to the C-O-D...How long was I in there?

By the way, the photo is me ironing clothes on vacation. Ella took the picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for motivating me with that speech too! I needed it today after dragging all morning.

Mallory said...

:( everyone has days like these every once in awhile. i always feel better after putting it into perspective. just think what your life would be like if you didn't have to do all those things?? pretty darn lonely. I'm glad you're feeling better :)

Sunshine Mama said...

You're absolutely right. Even while I'm complaining, I know I have it good.