Monday, March 29, 2010

I Felt Sad When I Should Have Been Happy...

As I sat and watched Ella's class play, I felt very sad. I felt sad for some of the children I saw walking across the stage. They are sweet, innocent children, and their childhoods will be hard.

There was one girl who was overweight. I have no doubt that she will be taunted by her classmates.

There was another girl who wasn't very clean. Her shoes were well worn and her hair still had humps in it from where she had slept on it. As far as children are concerned, she might as well have a giant bulls eye painted on the back of her t-shirt.

There were children who were clearly not as bright as most of the other first graders. Will they be teased when they leave the main classroom to go to special math and reading classes?

It is hard to grow up, and I'm not always sure that I am making the right decisions with my children. I don't want the three of them to bully or tease other students. I pray that God will help me raise them to be sweet children.


How can we help them? What can I do?