Monday, September 20, 2010

The IRS...DUN DUN DUN...

This morning is the start of a huge audit. This is by far the most stressed I have ever been about my job. I have been doing this for almost 11 years, and I have seen three audits in the last six months. I hadn't seen that many audits (total) in the 11 years before that though. When I throw a tax return, I like for it to stick.

With the economy being slow, the government isn't collecting as much tax revenue. As a result (not one that they would openly admit to), examinations have been very aggressive in the last year.

I am really nervous about defending this tax return. Not because I did a bad job on it, but because I have never had to defend a return of this size. The last two audits before this were for returns with AGI of <400K and <1.2M respectively. This return is for a little over 12M.


If I fail to blog much this week, it's because I'm digging my heels in and fighting the IRS.