Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Neglect...

My poor blog. It is feeling so neglected. I am feeling neglected. The past month has been hurried and rushed. I've been to Nashville and back countless times. Mom was in the hospital for nearly two weeks. Ella got sick, and I didn't realize just how sick she was. I was foolish and thought it was just the funk and that it could wait a few more days. Nope. She spiked a fever on a Thursday night. The next day I took her to the pediatrician only to discover that she had pneumonia. Yep. Mother of the year award right here. My work has overwhelmed me. I've had a number of big projects that had to be completed by the 15th of this month. I've put in long hours here and there and everywhere. The stress of working and raising a family can seem like too much from time to time. There are moments when I want to cry. There was one day last week when I really thought I was going to come unglued.

As I type I am reminded how important it is to seek a Sabbath moment. A candle cannot burn at both ends for an indefinite amount of time. Here lately, I have felt like I am trying to burn the candle at both ends. My emotions and moods have been compromised by neglect. I have not taken the time to feel good. I have not taken a long weekend away with my husband. I have not relaxed and had a pedicure in forever. I have neglected my basic need for peace and quiet. As a result, my patience is thin. I am not able to be the kind and compassionate person I want to be when I am stressed to the limit.

So, I am planning a little sabbatical for the hubs and me. Any suggestions for where we should go for a long weekend? What are some of your favorite places for a quick get-away?