Saturday, October 23, 2010

There's Just Too Much...

Overwhelmed. That's how I feel a lot of days. Between packing school lunches, navigating car lines, making sure bathes and homework are done, managing tax returns, doing laundry, attending parent/teacher conferences, making sure medicine is taken, loving on my husband, and explaining why it is not okay to call people fat to their faces, I have a lot going on. Being a parent is hard work. I find myself ten minutes late for everything. Did I turn on the dishwasher before I sat down to blog? I have no idea. I'll check on that later.

The phone rings almost every day at the same time. Dinner. It is usually some politician's network. They want to know if I have a few minutes to answer a few questions. I have said yes a time or two and found that I am not a good person to survey for a political questionnaire. There are some topics that I am liberal about. Others, I am a total conservative. I have never voted a straight ticket. Ever.

Then, later the phone rings again. It's some charity wanting to know if they can count on my monetary support again this year. Breast cancer, children's cancer, fraternal order of police, domestic violence relief...and at the end of the day, am I really supposed to be worried about Lindsay Lohan going to jail? Well, it's all over the news like it is something I should be concerned about. Honestly, throw her blow snorting butt in jail already; I'm sick of hearing about it.

It seems that we are all bombarded every day to care about everything. EVERYTHING. The prayer list never ends. Every time one disaster is cleaned up and the survivors are patched back together, something else happens that captivates the world's attention. When it comes to caring, I feel like I am treading water and barely keeping my head above water. I want to help. I do. BUT, how can I adequately help anyone when the laundry is overflowing at my house and Layton is covered in some goo that cannot be identified?

I am envious of those who have one cause for which they are champions. Take Jerry Lewis for example. He is all about the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Or Marlo Thomas who is the voice for St. Jude Children's Hospital. I am a champion of none and a small contributor to many.

How are we supposed to choose who to give to? How are we supposed to choose who to support and rally for?

Overwhelmed. That's how I feel a lot of days.