Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Breathe In...

Do you have any favorite memories from going to camp as a child or young adult? Love to camp or backpack? Enjoy the outdoors?

The area where I live is not exactly a big city. That might be an understatement. There are lots of tractors on the road during cotton season. I know as many farmers as I know lawyers. I cannot imagine growing up in a big city where grass is a luxury. My best friend, who is from Connecticut, was surprised the first time she came to visit Alabama. I remember her making the remark that all the houses had "grass all around them." The proof? The hubs in a field at the farm house....


Sometimes I take it for granted that we get to spend as much time as we want roaming across acres of land having fun. My children are blessed to be able to ride four wheelers and RTVs and play in the creek.

Can you imagine for a moment that you live in New York City? In an underprivileged home? Many of those children never have the opportunity to run through fields or smell fresh air. Or see the stars without ambient light corrupting the view.

The Fresh Air Fund has been affording underprivileged children the opportunity to experience fresh air since 1877. There are host families all over who invite these children to spend time in a rural area. More than 1.7 million (since 1877) disadvantaged youth have been given the blessing of fresh air through this wonderful organization. If you have the time, please visit their website and consider making a donation or becoming a host family.