Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year...New Me?...

Happy New Year!!! It's time for resolutions. Or, as I like to call it, time to make promises that I don't intend to keep. Ha!

This year I have decided to take a page from my journals to create resolutions. Journals? Yes. I have three. One for each of my children. I write letters to them. Not every day or even every month. But periodically I write a letter to each of my precious children. Letters about what they are doing, their favorite toys, milestones that have been reached, about how much I love them. Things of that nature. Someday when I am gone, they can read these letters and know that I loved them with everything that I am and everything I hope to become. To me there is something so intimate about reading a person's thoughts and feelings in their own hand rather than in Times New Roman. Each of my children will feel the indentations in the pages that I scribed just for them and smell the smell of old ink doused in love.

I tell them how badly I want them to be happy. I tell them how much I want them to feel love. I tell them how each of them has changed my life for the better. I also try to impart little tidbits of advice. Two things I want for them are now going to become my two resolutions for the new year.

First, live big. Eat breakfast off the fine china on a Tuesday for no good reason. Iron clothes in your wedding dress. Embrace the good with the bad. Wear your finest peals to pump gas.This is the only life I have, so I have to live it big with no regrets. You can bring back memories, but you can never go back. Live it now, and live it big.

Second, be generous. Be generous with your time and your love. Be generous with your ears because sometimes other people just need to be heard. Be generous with your forte no matter what it may be. Give freely of yourself, and you will receive far more in return.

So that's it folks. This is what I hope to accomplish in the new year. A heart that gives and loves and has no regrets. A heart that my children might be proud of.