Sunday, January 15, 2012

Subscribe and Save....I'm Totally Obsessed...

Layton follows a very special diet. He jokingly tells people he's on a diet. That gets a rise out of servers when we take him out to eat. They look at me like I am the worst mother on the planet for putting a small child on a diet. Ha! I always try to explain that he follows a special diet for medical reasons, but I'm not entirely sure they believe me.

Anyway....

His food can be quite expensive (understatement of the year. M&Ms for him are $10 a pound) and difficult to come by in a small town in Alabama. A lot of his food I buy at Earthfare or Whole Foods. Neither of those stores has a location here, so I have to travel to buy groceries free of gluten, corn, carrots, chicken, peanut, walnut, etc. There is a Whole Foods a few interstate exits away from the Vanderbilt exit, so when I take him to see the doctor(s), I try to stop and shop. Or when I go to Huntsvegas, if time permits, I stop and shop at Earthfare. It's not always possible to make time each and every week to shop for him, so I try to stock up once or twice a month.

It occurred to me that I might be able to order some of his favorite foods from internet sites. His favorite cookies aren't always in stock at the store because they are seriously yummy gluten-free cookies. Don't judge. He also needs to consume high fat foods, so I do give him cookies and milkshakes. Woah, that explains the 20 pounds I've gained since his diet began. I got on Amazon and found that I could order the cookies in a case of eight packages.

Then....

I noticed the most awesome thing ever. On the right-hand side of the page for ordering the cookies had a "Subscribe and Save" box that I could check. Say what?!?!?!?!!! Yes, it was in my power to have the food auto-ordered at various intervals, and by doing it that way, Amazon offers a 15% off deal on every order and includes free shipping. Um, Hello, best thing ever for me! I don't have to lift a finger, and a variety of Layton's food will show up on my front porch once a month or every other month or whatever schedule fits me best. Plus, the savings really adds up. When you're buying $7.00 bread, getting 15% off is so righteous. Think about how much gas it takes to drive 160 miles round trip for me to go to Whole Foods. Subscribe and Save just may be the best thing I have discovered this year.

There are lots of other products that are eligible for it too. Food, diapers, formula, detergent, shampoos....all on the Subscribe and Save program. If there is anything you use on a regular basis but don't always have time to shop, check out Subscribe and Save. It just might change you life too. :)