Friday, November 30, 2012

Bilingual...

Not too long ago we took a drive through Cherokee, North Carolina. I'm not going to sugar coat it. Cherokee is low rent. The motels are run down. The restaurants are skeezy. It's obviously not a first class tourist destination. This made it the perfect spot for a day trip for the enabler and her codependents. We're all about a low budget day of learning and exploring. Hello? Do you not remember the time we had to deal with a rabid raccoon on the front porch of our low rent beach rental?  Maybe we'll revisit that story again sometime.

Cherokee may be slightly run down and dirty looking, but it is without a doubt a giant opportunity to teach children about history and diversity. It was also an opportunity for me to leave a $10 tip for a Native American because of white guilt. Am I not supposed to confess to having white guilt? Well, I totally do. My ancestors came to this country and gave the Indians the gifts of small pox and syphilis. And then...the ancestors proceeded to greedily take over as much land as possible and pretend that it was a-okay. Happy Thanksgiving, yo. Yeah, yeah, I know that technically I have nothing to feel guilty about (my ancestors? not so much), but when I show up and clap for the dances and pay $4 for handmade, beaded earrings, I feel like a complete jerk. There I was using their culture and tradition for my entertainment. White guilt. Back to what I wanted to say before I got all flustered....

One thing that fascinated me from the get go....the signage...all were in both English and Cherokee...

 
 
Posted by Picasa

The children thought it was pretty cool. I was the only one sort of obsessed with it. I mean, seriously, it was so neat. I was born and raised in a part of the country where difference is not tolerated. Places like Cherokee do not just accept difference; it is celebrated and revered and on every street corner. Literally. Cherokee, North Carolina may not have a four star restaurant, but it boasts something far more important for my children to remember from their vacation.