Monday, November 16, 2009

Confessions of a Twirler...

Way back in the day, I was a competitive baton twirler. You read that right; please don't try to adjust your eyes. I spent many Saturday afternoons in muggy gymnasiums covered in sequins, rhinestones, and hair spray. After I aged out, I started judging competitions too. I haven't judged one in years. In fact, I was around 14 weeks pregnant with Layton the last time I judged a competition. Until now.


My friend Mary called me up a few weeks back and asked if I would consider judging one near my hometown. I thought it over and said sure. It was a blast from the past. Literally...


This is my friend Kellee. She was one of the first judges I ever performed in front of, and she has a special place in my heart.

This is what one of the seating areas looked like. It wasn't a huge competition, so there weren't that many people there.


This is one of my fellow high school majorettes, Jamie. She is teaching lessons now and is pregnant with her third child. I squealed out loud when I saw her, and I had to get a picture of her with one of her groups.




The old rules wouldn't let you compete past a certain age; therefore, I had to quit. Now, the rules have been changed. Even old birds like me can compete. I was in awe at the number of 30-something contestants. It almost made me foolish enough to pick up my sticks when I got home. I said almost....

1 comment:

Mommie Daze said...

I was flag girl in the band when I was in school. I've been known to twirl the broom around once in a while when no one is looking. I can still flip it up in the air and catch it.