Monday, February 22, 2010

A Time To Kill...

Euthanasia. It's not a pretty word. It's a controversial topic. Doctors in Canada are backing the 'Right to Die' proposal. You read that right. Doctors are in support of allowing lucid patients to have a say in when their final breath is taken.





Oregon, Washington, and Montana have all decided that assisted suicide is legal. It is illegal in the other 47 states to have another individual assist with suicide. Even in the states where it is legal, criminal liability can only be avoided by taking certain steps. Terminal illness, more than one oral request, and a doctor's prescription are just a few of the many requirements in Oregon.



Jack Kevorkian famously stated that, "dying is not a crime." He also served eight years in prison for assisting a terminal patient with suicide. He was convicted of second degree murder for the death of Thomas Youk who was in the final stages of ALS.

I am in favor of making assisted suicide legal. In light of my other extremely conservative views, this probably comes as a shock to some of you. For others who know me in real life, this is not a shock. I think that life experiences change the way we all view controversial subjects, and my life experiences have lead to a belief that palliative care should include a suicide clause.

Am I saying that I think all terminal patients should be euthanized? No. I am saying that if a lucid patient knows a horrible death is looming, the choice should be theirs. And, if that patient is unable to carry out their wishes alone, I don't think whoever helps them commit suicide should be convicted of murder.

Now I want to hear your feelings. Are any of you in favor of legal assisted suicide?