Friday, April 30, 2010

Great Lack of Expectations...

My parents always had great expectations for me. If I were capable of making an A on a test, they wanted me to bring home an A+.

I know a woman who has unrealistic expectations of her husband. He can't possibly accomplish all of the things she wants him to do. There are only 24 hours in a day, and some of that time has to be devoted to sleeping.

My own children have crazy expectations of me. They expect me to do everything for them. I constantly remind them that my job isn't to do everything for them but to teach them to do everything for themselves.

Here's where things get a little strange. I have very few expectations of other people. Literally, I expect nothing from anyone I know. What does that say about me?

I've been giving it some thought, and I think I learned not to expect anything from anyone as a way to keep my emotions in control. If my expectations are not met, I tend to get upset. If I remove expectations from the equation all together, then there is never a reason to be upset. I am all about avoiding unpleasant emotions
and confrontation.

Is there anything you do to avoid being upset or disappointed?