Friday, February 25, 2011

In The Winter, It Looks So Different...

The river is such a special place to me. For many reasons. One of the most important reasons I love the river is my husband. My husband? Yes.

Jay's grandparents and my grandparents had river camps next door to each other back in the day. My dad and Jay's dad grew up together on skis. Jay's aunt Peggy and my aunt Mona grew up together and are still the best of friends.

The water of the Elk is one of the reasons Jay and I know each other. Well, that, and his fancy reverse polar notation calculator he had in trigonometry that was totally hot to a girl like me.

In the Winter, TVA uses the dam to drop the water level of the Elk. It prevents flooding in areas North of us. When we go to the river in the Winter, it looks so different. So gray...


So muddy where the water once was in the Summer...



The tracks of the birds that light in the mud...

So gray and waiting for Spring...Just like me.