Tuesday, March 09, 2010

AMSTI...

Recently, Ella's school had their AMSTI event for parents. I didn't know much about it before the girls started to school, but it is a great program. AMSTI is the Alabama Math, Science, and Technology Initiative. The organization's focus is on improving the education of our children in the applicable areas.

Ella's class has been able to do an in depth study of plants this semester. She has cups of rye grass growing in the classroom! Ella was my teacher for the in class portion. She lead me to various stations and gave me lessons. It was precious. She told me all about roots and baby plants. She even got to peel a bean apart to show me what would grow into the above ground portion of a beanstalk.
In this picture she is showing me the life cycle of corn...from kernel...to popcorn! Her teacher made bags of popcorn for each child to eat after they finished instructing their parents.

The AMSTI meeting also happened to fall during READ ACROSS AMERICA week. Naturally, the Cat was there to create some trouble!