Monday, May 17, 2010

Wanna Know How Much Money I Make?....

Jenna recently tweeted about http://www.spokeo.com/. I went to the website and did a search for myself. All kinds of information came up....

...my address...phone number...email address...zodiac sign...whether or not my house has a fireplace...and how many people live in the house...approximate household income...my age...education status...

It was almost all incorrect though! If you're going to violate my privacy, at least be accurate about it! Right?!!???! Where did they get this junk? Certainly not from my blog; the information would have been accurate had they read my blog. I'm not on Facebook. Have I really tweeted too much about myself? Should I check the bushes outside my computer room? Maybe the spokeo spy is watching me type this!!

I followed the steps to delete my profile and then thought to search under my maiden name. Boom! There it was. All kinds of inaccurate info under my maiden name with the address listed as my mother's house. It even provided a middle initial...not my middle initial but one that's close.The really strange thing is that I have never slept a single night in my mother's house she lives in now. She moved there a year after my father died, and I was already married and had two children when she took up her current address. Who in the heck runs this spokeo website????? At some point, a litigious personality is going to see this site and get ticked off by the wrong information being given out.


So, I deleted the profile for my maiden name too. Time to search for the hubs. Jay is not my husband's name...it's just what his family calls him. There was nothing on him under his real name, but boat loads of  incorrect information under his nickname. However, his actual twitter profile picture was shown. His education was listed as "some college." I laughed out loud at that one; the man has multiple degrees in math and electrical engineering. The biggest mistake was that he was listed as living in another city. With another wife. With other children. With a totally wrong age but correct zodiac sign.

You can see how I got a little nervous at first. :) I emailed the link to the profile to him and asked if he needed to tell me anything. Ha!!

Seriously though, shouldn't this site be monitored a little more closely??? Or have to ask your permission before telling the world whether or not you have a fireplace???? Incidentally, we do have a fireplace, but spokeo says we don't. Maybe that thing on the far wall that has fire in it isn't really a fireplace...spokeo says it's not.

In a nutshell, I am thinking about making the blog private. Please let me know if you think I should go private or stay public. If I do go private, you will still be able to read the blog if you send me an email. :)