Sunday, November 27, 2011

What Was Amazing?...This...

So I teased that something was the start of amazing yesterday. Want to know what it was? I'll tell you what was amazing. Ella decided to make Boeuf Bourguignon. Not just any Boeuf Bourguinon. Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon.


I took her to the grocery store, and she helped me read all the ingredients and put them in the buggy. She even chided me for trying to buy a cheaper cut of meat than Julia recommended. Ha! We ran into my precious friend Taylor at Publix, and Ella couldn't resist telling her what we were shopping for. It was 18 points of adorable.

So, she started cooking...

She was literally smiling almost the whole time. It was quite the sight.


She had to have help with a few steps. Such as the wine. I opened the wine for her before she measured it and poured it in.


She really amazed me with just how comfortable she is in a kitchen. Ella is only 8, but seems so much older than that much of the time. She is an old soul for sure.


The Bay Leaf is one of the last steps before the rocking dutch oven goes in the oven. I had to help with putting it in and taking it out. Mine is cast iron and a little heavy for her to lift after it's full. :)



The beef and first set of vegetables has to stay in the oven for two and half to three hours, so she went and took a bath and got dressed during that time and then started on the mushrooms and whatnot for after it comes out of the oven. Layton couldn't resist getting in on a little of the action. :)



Let me just tell you. This stuff smelled so ridiculously good while it was cooking. We're talking "slap your mother" good. We're talking "holy cow, my kitchen has never smelled so delicious" good.

And then....it was ready....

Posted by Picasa

There are no words for this...at least none that seem adequate. It was so wonderfully flavored. It was so rich. It was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. No joke. We all moaned as we ate. Out loud.

This meal was unbelievable, and my eight year old daughter prepared it almost entirely by herself. Eight years old!...and she took on Mastering the Art of French Cooking. To be honest I was so proud, and at the same time I was humbled by Ella's ambition and success. Ella admires Julia Child and Paula Deen. She is captivated by their recipes and loves watching them cook. I think Julia and Paula would both be proud of what Ella accomplished in the kitchen last week.

And last but not least...

She said, "Bon Appetit" when she served it to us at the table. :)