Thursday, November 29, 2012

Smoky...

We spent the Thanksgiving holidays in the Great Smoky Mountains. I have always wanted to spend Thanksgiving in the Smokies. It just so happened that some of the gang thought it would be a good idea too, so we booked a chalet months ago and couldn't wait to head out.

There is a reason that the National Park is called the Great Smoky Mountains. There is often a fog hanging in and directly over the mountains. The highest point is Clingman's Dome, and I've only seen it clear there once. Most of the time it's cloudy. Beautiful. But cloudy. This gives you an idea of what it can look like...
 
I love being in the mountains. There aren't any hotels or motels or cabins actually in the park. There is one lodge that you can hike to, but that's not feasible with the codependents being a little on the small side. When they get older, I'm going to make them hike all the way to the top of LeConte. :)

Until then we will rent chalets in the towns surrounding the park and drive into the park for day trips. This view makes it totally worth it...

 

There are tunnels in the Smoky Mountains that fascinate me. I wonder how they were built. I suspect the WPA had something to do with it, but I don't know for sure. Any experts out there that know more than wikipedia?

 

It was so foggy that the huge mountains disappeared.

 
If I were to live closer, my calves would be the size of trees because I would spend every spare minute of my time exploring the mountains.

 
Posted by Picasa


Great Smoky Mountains indeed. There are lots more pictures and stories to be told. :)