Friday, March 01, 2013

Childhood Memory and Grown Up Fun...

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite places was my uncle's store. I loved the way U.G. White smelled, and I loved the way that I felt when I had the chance to visit the store. Hubie (Uncle David's father) would greet me with a big hug and kiss. I will never forget that. Hubie and David were always there. I mean, ALWAYS. There was a classic coke vending machine. You know the kind...with the door that you had to open and the bottle opener on the outside. Nothing tastes as good as a coke in a glass bottle, and Hubie gave me many quarters over the years just to see the look on my face after that first swig of ice cold cola. Because the store happened to be on the Christmas parade route, we spent many cold nights inside waiting for the noise, lights, and shine to come our way. I loved the store. I love it still.

Several years ago, David sold the store and retired. The new owners have kept U.G. White much the same, and every time I walk in the door, I instantly feel like the 8 year old version of myself. The familiar creak of the hardwood floors, the nostalgia of the cash register, the sound of keys being made, the train in the display window, the Radio Flyer wagons and trikes...this place is a childhood sanctuary to me.


The store now has clothing and camping gear upstairs. My little family likes to eat at Luvici's next door and then meander through the store shopping.

We did that not too long ago. (Yes, that's J with a full on man beard.)
 
...And, we were pleasantly surprised to hear live music! As it turns out, these lovely gentlemen come to the store once a month or so and play.
 
Posted by Picasa

We stayed far longer than intended and enjoyed the music and company. What started out as a quick trip to grab dinner one Saturday night turned into a night of music, shopping, and all out joy.


I might not have received a huge hug and kiss when I walked in, but I still love the way the store smells and the way it makes me feel.