Monday, August 10, 2009

There is a Season...

School has started. The familiar sounds of packing lunch boxes and filling water bottles were in the house this morning. The look of tired children who stayed up too late is once again a daily routine.

Some of you may know this about my family; to others this is a new thing. When I wake the children in the morning, it is only to move them from their beds to the den. I place each child in front of the fire place. In the winter months, the fire glows softly and warms their bones. In the warmer months, they might request a blanket, but mostly it gives them a peaceful spot to finish waking up. This is what they looked like this morning.



Layton never actually awakened. He basically slept through getting dressed and had to be carried to the car. So, I give you a picture of him from Saturday instead. Yes, he is wearing orange (a color I avoid due to my vampire-like complexion). I have decided he must be a Tennessee fan. My crimson blood is still reeling from this discovery.

Ella was ready for her first day of first grade. She picked out a brand new lunchbox and backpack. Of course I had her name monogrammed on each.






Hadley has reached the point where she doesn't want me to help her get ready in the mornings. She picks her own clothes, fixes her hair, and handles her own breakfast. Apparently, she doesn't need me anymore. Who am I kidding? I totally bought all her school supplies.


I was glad to usher each one of them to school this morning. We have a better routine during the school year. We know what is going on each and every day. There are no surprises with scheduling. Summer comes along and it's as if my calendar takes the shape of spaghetti. I heart school.



2 comments:

Sunshine Mama said...

Your kids look so excited about school. How happy they must be and you too. What a good idea to put the kids in the den to let them wake up.

And, just out of curiosity, has school always started this early? Around here,(WI) it's maybe at the earliest the last week of august. High school for my daugher is sept 1. I actually love the summer schedule myself, but I like having a school schedule too.

erin said...

Sometimes I wish our school started earlier here and ended earlier, but I've always heard that it's too hot in the beginning of August to send kids to school...doesn't really compute, but hey, I don't make the rules. I just follow them like a blind freaking sheep.
Yeah, you heard it here. ;)