Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ella's Surgery...The Hangover..

Ella had surgery Monday to remove a lump from her cheek and a mole from her leg. A plastic surgeon did the procedure. You remember the infamous trip to the surgeon's office, don't you? The quality of the pictures is not very good. I used my phone. I wasn't exactly thinking about grabbing the camera for posed pictures when I was hustling her off to the hospital.

Here she was lounging before getting prepped.


Eventually she took off her robe and watched TV for a little while. We had to be at the hospital at 6:00AM, so it was a really early start for us. We left the house around 5:15AM in order to make it there in time. You don't even want to know what time I woke up that morning. I was really nervous about it. I freak out any time a loved one is put to sleep, so I didn't even need the 4:00AM alarm.



After she got changed into her gown, she got to drive a princess jeep to the operating room! The nurses made her a driver's license and everything. It was absolutely adorable! Until she crashed into the wall...


She was in surgery for about an hour and twenty minutes. The mole removal was the easy part. She has an impressive band aid thingy on it that won't come off until we go back to the doctor's office, so I haven't seen it yet. Her cheek has a lot more stitches than I thought it would, but it is looking good. I have to change the band aid and clean it three times a day. It was really swollen the first time I changed the dressing out. Jay and I were worried that it was going to leave a huge scar! That was the reason that we were sent to a plastic surgeon to begin with. The other doctor we consulted wouldn't touch the lump because it was on her face. By day two though, the swelling had gone down a lot!! It looks great now!!

She was really groggy when I got to go see her in recovery. She looks hungover!


Posted by Picasa

I'll take her back to the surgeon's office Monday morning to have the stitches removed, pick up the anti-scar ointment, and get the pathology results. Honestly, I think everything is fine. When Dr. Yates came out of the OR to talk to me, he said it looked like an ordinary, benign cyst. But, somewhere inside, I am terrified that the pathology report will say something different. I'll let the blog world know the results Monday.