Friday, March 08, 2013

Chili...Challenge...

One of my favorite events every year is the Hospice Chili Challenge. It's an annual event, and this year was the 25th anniversary. If I had to estimate, I would guess that I have been at 15 of the 25. I went to several as a teenager and was part of the entertainment. Does anyone have video of me dancing? If so, I will pay whatever it takes to keep that tape from seeing the light of day. Grace might be my middle name, but....I digress. I attended several more as a young adult just for fun and to taste the chili and to socialize with folks I know. Then, my dad got sick, and the months leading up to his death changed the way I viewed terminal illness. Hospice was there for him those last weeks. That was the first time in my life that I actually understood what Hospice does for a terminally ill patient and their family. I knew what services Hospice provided, but I didn't understand what Hospice provided. That might not make sense to some. Knowing and understanding seem synonymous. Maybe a better metaphor would be childbirth. You know going into it that it's going to hurt like hell, but you don't really understand what that pain is going to feel like. Does that make sense? For me, it was that same type of ignorance where hospice care was concerned. I was young and naive and had not yet absorbed the entire concept of what Hospice was going to do for my dying father.

I make a point to attend and help with the Chili Challenge every year now. I don't serve on the steering committee or raise thousands of dollars, but I do contribute in the ways that I can. Helping raise funds for this worthy cause is the least I can do to honor the service that Hospice did for my father.

On to some of the fun stuff.....

The booths are always adorable, and a winner is selected for best booth each year. This booth belonged to my besties Shannon and Kim. (More on that in the next post.)



I had to congratulate Mitchell for being sneaky and clever. He was so adorable with his Eagle Chili booth! I really thought he would win the popular vote based entirely on the fact that he is A-dorbs. Like I said, clever. 


Woot, woot! There's my sistah, Lori! I thought the peppers around the sign were a super cute touch! 


Ahh, the Singles. I loved their booth covered in an old, tin roof. 


Hello, ladies. :) The boots and hats were a nice touch for Sara and Tracy's booth.


I did not taste this particular chili....I was scared to have both ends smokin'. Ha!
 
Posted by Picasa

The Chili Challenge is always crowded and fun. I better see you there next year!